|To investigate property, owners can do the following: |
- Check EPA's Site Information page. From this Web page, you can view or download information about the nation's hazardous waste sites. These sites can be as small as a single contaminated well. Don't be surprised if a hazardouse waste site is located near you.
- Talk to neighbors and local municipal officials to check for a history of dumping on your specific property and the surround area. Contamination from buried waste can migrate off-site.
- Check local ordinances for prohibitions against dumping of construction/demolition debris. See: ZWA's Open Dumping.
- Check County Aerial Photographs (if available) over the last several decades (may date back to the 1960's) for changes in topography that could indicate dumping activities.
- Conduct Soil, Water (ground & surface), Air (landfill gases), testing for toxics, including radioactivity:
If you suspect you are suffering from living on contaminated property, consult a health professional in environmental illnesses. See: Health Impacts for referral information.